Its become our family tradition to escape to the South Carolina coast for fall break and I LOVE it- the crowds are next to non-existent, the weather isn't scorching and I get a great excuse to squeeze in just a few last summer sewing projects!
The two projects featured here were a part of my October post for Fabric Mart Fabrics (you can read that post here) and the fabrics were a joy to sew.
I wanted to give a few details about the sewing involved with these projects on this platform. So here we go...
For this cute dress, I muslined the bodice and I highly recommend doing so if you plan on making it. To my eye, the dress on the pattern envelope looks fitted and is described as fitted but I had to make quite a few changes to get mine to fit.
First of all I pinched out under bust darts and added that to the pattern. I knew that it would help pull in the empire waist and I did not like the volume I was seeing there. You can see from the side view photo that there is still quite a bit of volume in that area and you need some to be able to pull the dress over your shoulder area.
Second I took in the side seams on the bodice a smidge, and I can't say exactly because I don't remember. I also pulled the elastic across the top back very tight and still it could've been pulled tighter. In truth it really needs a different solution back there, the elastic is 1/4' elastic, as instructed in the pattern but it doesn't hold up to the weight of the skirt. I finally ended up pinning the back to my strapless bra to ensure that it didn't slip down too much. Not a solution I prefer but I ran out of time to change things up.
If there is a next time I will probably add a channel of wider, sturdier elastic to the back or add some shirrring.
One final bodice tweak was to sew up the front opening quite a bit. I know that many would choose to leave it open and if that works for your lifestyle- fantastic! But for me I knew I would be more comfortable with it sewn up.
Third, I added two snaps to the neck closure along with the recommended hooks and bars. I really didn't want any awkward wardrobe malfunctions during my belated anniversary dinner so this made me feel everything would stay put!
That about sums up my changes, I really enjoyed wearing the dress, it was perfect for our belated beach anniversary dinner out and rayon challis is always so soft and comfortable.
This rayon challis, in particular is very good in quality. I have sewn with others that weren't quite as substantial. It was made for Tori Richards and I can always count on any designer fabrics from Fabric Mart being of the best quality.
Now on to this wrap jacket/top. I LOVE this little piece, I have worn it several times since making it and plan on many more wears! I am a sucker for anything wrap so I could be biased in my love for this piece!
The pattern is Vogue 8926 and I have had it in the stash for some time and always pulled it out and put it up not feeling quite ready to tackle it. The instructions for finishing the inside are very basic and would leave the garment quite vulnerable on the inside so I knew I would need to do some head scratching and configuring. I ended up sewing the facings down to enclose those seams and mostly serging everything else. The fabric was a little ravely and tended to fray a bit so in order for me to get a lot of use out of this I wanted it to hold up to many washings and wearings.
To get the look pictured here, I made a few additions to the pattern. I gave the jacket split hems, rows of stitching (a few extra rows on the center front area), belt carriers and an unattached belt. I really feel these small extra touches elevate a piece, giving it some depth and interest.
I know I can get some great use out of this as both a jacket and top since the fabric is a great light weight tencel/rayon blend. Its soft too! I can think of a lot of used for a chambray like this one, shirt dress, button down shirt, shift or sheath dress, a cute A-line dress with top stitching....
The dress pictured with this jacket is a McCalls 6886. Its made up in a techno knit from Fabric Mart and the only change made to it was to add back fisheye darts. It is such a simple, quick and satisfying make.
Well there's the sewing details of these makes, I hope they are helpful to anyone who would like to sew these up. Many times a pattern is a starting place for a look you'd like to achieve and although it takes a little more effort to muslin, pin in darts, or add rows of stitching, I am never sorry that I took the extra time to make changes since it really ups my love for the resulting garment.
Thanks for reading and happy sewing!